This post is brought to you by Nestlé All Purpose Cream.
I'm a pretty good cook. My husband says that's one of the reasons he married me. But you know what? I've never cooked carbonara. The major reason is I prefer red sauce to white sauce. But now that I have kids, I figured I shouldn't impose my culinary preferences on them. Since my boys love pasta, they should try all kinds of pasta and sauces. I mean, all the pasta they know is spaghetti with tomato meat sauce! And, I'll be honest, they don't seem excited anymore when I serve them spaghetti.
And that's why I decided to cook my first carbonara!
I found a carbonara recipe online and I liked that the ingredients weren't so intimidating. Just bacon (my family's favorite!), ham, cheese, milk and cream. I confess that I have never cooked anything with cream before. That's the territory of my sister, Jacqui, who swears by Nestlé All Purpose Cream. She says that it makes everything she makes extra creamy, adds a great texture, and makes food malinamnam. So for my first ever carbonara, I'm using Nestlé All Purpose Cream!
Half a kilo of noodles (I used spaghetti noodles so that it's familiar to my kids)
1 can evaporated milk
250 ml Nestlé All Purpose Cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
200 grams sweet ham (since my family loves bacon, I didn't use ham and just added more bacon!)
200 grams bacon
6 cloves of garlic, minced (the recipe called for a whole head but my kids don't like garlic)
1 onion, minced
1 tsp white pepper (you can use black pepper but I prefer white so that it looks nicer, no black spots on the white dish!)
Parmesan cheese, gratedChopped parsley as garnish
1. Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix cream of mushroom soup and evaporated milk till it's smooth. No lumps!
3. Slice the bacon into 1-cm pieces. Fry. Set aside.
4. In the same pan where all that lovely bacon oil was left behind, sauté garlic and onion. Add back the bacon but leave maybe a few tablespoons for sprinkling later.
5. Add the milk and cream of mushroom soup mixture, the Parmesan cheese, and Nestlé All Purpose Cream. Stir and bring to boil.
6. Season with pepper. There's no need to add salt since the cheese is salty.
7. Simmer with gentle stirring because the cream will burn if you leave the sauce alone. Remove from heat when sauce starts to thicken.
8. Serve pasta topped with the carbonara sauce sprinkled with bacon, more cheese, and parsley. Enjoy!
My kids found my new dish unfamiliar, I have to be honest. But they ate it! My husband approved it and said it was delicious. Hooray! I'm happy I have something new to add to our family menu, and that it's made creamy, delicious and special by just adding Nestlé All Purpose Cream!