Count that. A hundred pesos for nine people. And that's for lunch and dinner! So while there are millions of people spending millions on diet pills because they eat too much, I had to make do with very little to feed a lot! Of course this was when a kilo of chicken cost P35 (yes, I am that old).
- Cook vegetable soups. If you must have meat, veggies with just 1/4 kilo of pork can go a long way!
- Ask for the pork fat. The butchers usually trim these and throw them away so you can get them for free. Put the fat in the skillet and voila--instant cooking oil and chicharon!
- Tofu is an excellent meat extender.
- Make everything extra spicy. Or salty. I know, I know. But when food is heavily seasoned, you eat more rice and less ulam!
- If all else fails, make lugaw. Just throw rice in a large cauldron of water, together with garlic, onions and ginger. Season with salt and pepper and you have a satisfying meal.
|This guy sells fish so fresh, he made salmon sashimi. Yum!|
|That's yellow fin tuna.|
|The chicken is so fresh. Yes, freshly killed. See guy at right.|
|A kilo is just P50. Throw into a pot with garlic, onions, tomatoes and ginger.|
A few minutes later, a delicious and nutritious mussel dish!